welcome

welcome
welcome

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

"The Washed Ghee" - my Version {DIY}

Tags : Home >> Skin Care >> Home Remedies >> DIY

washed ghee DIY at perfect skin care for you

As soon as I read this post on dry skin and how to combat it by Tanveer, I had to try out this DIY. So, ghee is traditionally used in ayurveda for umpteen remedies. 

So, this is called Shata Dhaut Ghrita (100 times washed ghee) which basically means washing cow ghee (clarified butter from cow milk) in water 100 times. It is extremely messy to make but I am pretty sure the end result is worth it. So, let us check out how to make it. 

Btw, for a detailed process with pictures, you should check out this post.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup cow ghee
  • Mineral / Filtered Water - as much as needed

Method

  1. This should be traditionally made in copper vessel but I did not have one so I skipped it. And, I also guess it should not be made with electricity so that it retains the natural ions and natural properties unaltered by any foreign influence but I used electric blender. 
  2. So, take one cup of ghee in a bowl. Take a glass bowl, preferably, so that there is no reaction. Add a cup of water. 
  3. Whip the mixture with the blender. Beware that there will be a LOT of splashing around. It is an extremely messy process.
  4. After 5 minutes of whipping, pass the mixture through a sieve to filter out the extra water.  
  5. The steps 3 and 4 are basically what is washing the ghee. So, traditionally, these steps must be repeated for 100 times for a great end result. If you are not so patient, do it for 25 times. 

washed ghee DIY at perfect skin care for you

My Notes

  • Now, I am not really a patient person and the splashing in the beginning made me quite impatient to get over with this DIY so I repeated the washed the ghee for only 5 times.
  • Also, if you repeat this washing process for 25-100 times, the smell of the ghee goes away. Well, it did not really go away in 5 times so I added patchouli and french cypress essential oils. 
  • A small amount of ghee can give you huge amount of cream at the end so make sure you start with a very small batch for the first time. 
  • Since it uses water, I am not sure how long it will keep. So, for now, I am storing it in the refrigerator.   

Results

As of now, I have used it only once so not much to talk about in this section. But, yes, it does get absorbed extremely quickly and keeps you moisturised. Yes, it does smell ghee types when you do not add essential oils so I would suggest adding them or washing the ghee for said number of times. And, I would report back on how it did for me after I finish my first batch. 

Now, it is your turn! So, have you ever heard of washed ghee process? For me, it was a first. Do you think you would be trying it out? I would definitely suggest you do. So, do try it out and let me know if you liked it!


You might also like to try out:
Red Wine + Honey Skin Facial
Kama Soap-free Face Cleanser Mridul Dupe
The Oil Cocktail